Thursday, March 13, 2008
A Place I Could Get Used To, Or My First Few Days in Cali

Forgive me for taking so long to make this first post, but I hope you’ll take some time to read and enjoy my story. In case you give up and don’t make it to the end, check out the links and the bottom and please leave some comments if the mood strikes you. :)

Day 1

I emerged from the plane and became immediately aware of my surroundings- acres of tarmac beneath me, bluish gray sky above and the faint sight of mountains in the distance. I was surprised by the absence of the familiar jet way but pleased that I was able to take my first breath of fresh California air so much sooner that I had expected, as I made my way down the narrow steps onto the ground below. I had arrived!

The San Jose restrooms were spacious and welcoming, which I found convenient considering the large number of bags I had so eagerly decided to bring onto the plane with me- a dozen dress shirts on one shoulder, all my socks and underwear on the other. The muscles in my upper arms were beginning to complain. I was just about to take a much needed leak when my phone rang. It was the Chinese gentleman who had brought my car many miles across the country on his auto transport truck to meet me here. I had expected to wait a few days for his arrival, but to my surprise he had been waiting all day for mine. In English so broken I could barely understand, he described his location, which I would discover later was very nearby. In the stall of the very echoey restroom, I conversed with him for a few more moments and then hung up. After relieving myself, I grabbed my carry-on luggage and headed to the baggage claim to retrieve the rest of my possessions.

I stood casually on the sidewalk when he pulled up in his charming Toyota - dark red and of an early 90s vintage. Dan stepped out and strolled over to meet me at the trunk of his car. He hugged me and then popped it open. He tossed in one duffel bag and then the other, struggling with the latter in a way I found cute. I tossed the rest of my luggage in his backseat and then we were off to find my car, which was waiting for us at a nearby freeway exit. Dan is a boy I met several weeks prior at a conference for LGBT Jews at Columbia University in Manhattan. I found him to be wonderfully interesting and we got to know each other well over the period of a day or two in New York City. At some point during our conversations that weekend, I became aware that he hailed from Stanford in California, a school only miles away from my future co-op destination of Sunnyvale. Realizing that we would be so near, we vowed to hang out once I arrived on the west coast. We spoke a number of times after that, which led to his offer to pick me up at the airport when I landed.

Had English been his first language, it might not have taken Dan and I the whole 15 minutes to finally track down the nice Chinese man, who was waiting somewhat patiently with my car only 5 minutes away from the airport on the shoulder of a freeway onramp, the only place the police would apparently let him park his vehicle for the day while he waited for me to arrive. When I stepped out of the car, the man flashed me a familiar smile and thrust some papers at me to sign. I suppose I was agreeing that he hadn't damaged my car in any way during the transport process, but the beautiful blue metallic paint lay under several months of persistent Rochester road salt and was therefore barely identifiable, much less available for close inspection for any possible scratches or knicks. I signed his form and he was off at a rate I found surprising, considering the full load of cars he had on his trailer.

Happy to see my beautiful car safe in one undented piece, I hopped in and started her right up. Dan knew where my new residence was (he had toured the house several weeks prior on my behalf) so I prepared to follow him. However, in a moment of debatable bad luck, his car decided to take a break from being a source of useful transportation and not start. I must admit that I was surprised at first, but considering the laid back state of mind I was in at the time, I wasn't too concerned. I couldn't have been more delighted to have finally arrived in the beautiful San Francisco Bay area, and by the side of a freeway onramp at sunset was as good a place as any to sit and spend some time.

Now, forgive me if I speed things up a little here. I am thoroughly enjoying this writing opportunity but I know this is a blog and not a chapter book so I should probably pick up the pace!

Of course, after attempting a jump start from my car and then calling AAA, Dan's car decided to work again and we were off. We traversed several freeways and eventually found ourselves in the neighborhood I would soon be calling home. I will skip the details at this moment and just say that it is a nice place that deserves a blog posting of its own. I stepped inside and met my roommates- a wonderful old lady named Marilyn, along with her two cats, Valentine and Gamma. They are two, barely distinguishable from one another, black cats with unusually large green eyes for their size. I was immediately excited. I can't say that I have ever been a huge fan of pets, but a few people in my life have recently got my reconsidering that stance- at least in the feline department. I exchanged pleasantries with Marilyn and she showed me where to park my car, after which Dan and I commenced the unpacking process. I am no light packer so this took a while. When it was done, we headed off for dinner of some sort in Downtown Mountain View.

I must admit I was excited to be in the birthplace of Google, although I didn't see the complex. Per Dan's instructions (I had no clue where I was), I parked my very dirty Mazda on the street and we strolled until we found a bustling Tapas restaurant Dan had been to before. We sat and ate various dishes featuring seafood and beef, all with a Mexican flair, while sipping Cava and a delicious red blend from Argentina. The varietals escape me at this moment but I have a sneaking suspicion they were Malbec and Cabernet, though let me not stray from that which is relevant!

After dinner we drove to Stanford, taking Palm Drive, the main route into campus which is adorned with dozens- perhaps hundreds- of beautiful palms of the most delightful (and reportedly expensive) variety. Being a sucker for palm trees in general, I was in awe at the sight. We took the campus loop to the east and headed to Dan's dorm. Perhaps I will spend a whole blog post on this amazing school, but let me just say at this moment that it puts many other campuses I have visited to shame. I love my school because it is mine, but I am pretty sure I love this one a little more. Dan showed me to his room where we sat and chatted for a while, at which point I decided that his futon was far too comfortable to leave and my jet lag had me far too tired to stay awake, so I passed out.

Day 2

Forgive me for letting Day 1 turn into a multipage ordeal, but all those AP English classes turned me into the most verbose of essayists.

My first morning in Silicon Valley began at the strikingly early hour of 7am, a time rare to me in my home time zone. I, however, looked forward to the opportunity to get a start on unpacking so I headed back to my digs in Sunnyvale. I spent the bulk of the morning putting things in their appropriate places, while occasionally stopping to chat with Marilyn and her cats. At some point I ventured out into the world to find a Wal-Mart and a Trader Joes, which turned out to be nearby. After grabbing a few random items, I returned home for a shower and some lunch and then headed back to Stanford to pick up Dan. We had decided that there was no reason to wait- I would be seeing my first glimpse of San Francisco today!

We made our way up the 280, one of the more scenic freeways I've had the pleasure of traveling on, to 19th street and into the city. Traveling in on the west side, I was not immediately confronted with beautiful and famous vistas, although the sight of streetcars and plentiful bay windows surrounded me. Eventually the 19th street traffic abated and we made our way northward through Golden Gate Park, along Route 1 into the Presidio and finally met up briefly with the 101 before heading off just before the Golden Gate Bridge to find a parking space. Although Dan and I certainly weren't the only people interested in viewing the bridge that day, I got lucky with a good spot close to the front and we got out.

It didn't take too many moments of gazing up at the huge red structure before we decided to take a stroll out across the span. Now one might think that taking a walk out across this majestic feat of engineering would be a calm and peaceful experience, but let me tell you, you are at the mercy of the winds coming across the bay as well as the noise and vibration of the cars driving by just a few feet away. I loved it! There were people of all shapes and sizes, nationalities, colors, etc, walking, bicycling, and just generally enjoying the bridge. I marveled at how it could stand up through all that the climate challenged it with (immense wind and air currents, not to mention earthquakes!). Needless to say, it was exciting. We took some pictures and made our way back to the car.


After some deliberation, it was determined that a tour of the city by car was in order. After setting a few vague goals, we headed off toward the southeast. Merging onto the 101, I was delighted to finally be driving on this famous interstate. Dan was not as excited as I, but I didn't let that get me down. A few more blocks and we found ourselves on the north end of the city near Ghirardelli Square, though I was much too busy marveling at how steep the streets were and wondering if my stick-shifting abilities were up to the task to notice.


I am happy to announce that they indeed were! After climbing a couple steep ones, we were at the top of the notoriously curvaceous section of Lombard Street, where people seemed to flock as if it were a free amusement ride (ourselves included!). There is nothing terribly exciting about the one block trip down the windiest stretch of asphalt known to man, taken at about a mile an hour, but for me and the other drivers who had chosen that particular street for our eastbound travel, it was the high point of the afternoon.


We took another trip down Lombard for good measure and then played on a few other steep streets before arriving in the outskirts of Chinatown where Dan had lived this past summer. We parked and strolled into a quiet cafe called The Chameleon on the corner of Pacific and Leavenworth. Something about the place immediately reminded me of a certain coffee shop on campus back in Rochester. It must have been the half dozen Apple laptops open around the room, their glowing white logos all facing me as I walked in the door. Dan ordered a solo macchiato and found himself a croissant to munch on, while I requested a lemonade. Apparently March is not lemonade season though, and I had to settle for a soda of the Italian lemon-lime variety, which I found delightfully refreshing.


When we finished our snack, it was back in the car for the next leg of the tour, which was to include the Castro as well as the Mission District. As we made our way down Market Street, I could see the massive rainbow flag waving in the distance. As we approached the intersection with Castro Street, I thought about what my arrival at the emotional center of the LGBT world really meant. Then I remembered I was driving and had to pay attention to that instead. Hopefully I will get to spend some more time in the Castro soon, as it seemed to be an exciting place full of energy, friendly looking gay people, and rainbow flags. (Did I mention the rainbow flags?) After turning onto Castro, a light ahead changed to red and I stopped, looking ahead as the crosswalk in front of me filled with a delightful assortment of queer people of all types. I wanted to get out and say hello to them all! We drove for a few more blocks on Castro Street and then hung a left toward the Mission District, where burritos of the most delicious variety awaited!


We parked the car and strolled along the long blocks of the Mission, our hunger leading us toward a doorway beneath a sign which read "La Taqueria" in huge red neon letters. Inside, we encountered the usual burrito joint crowd, all eager to chow down on some Carne Asada or the like. We both had beef burritos and shared interesting beverages. I had strawberry juice, which really did feel like a bunch of squeezed strawberries, pulp and all, in a cup. In other words, amazing-aside from the chunks that kept clogging my straw. Dan enjoyed una horchata, which is Spanish for rice milk to the best of my recollection. It was cold and sweet and did a nice job of taking care of the bite of the green hot sauce we were pouring liberally on our burritos. I used the bathroom and we then headed out the door towards the car for the next leg of our journey, the Haight–Ashbury district.


I feel like I should have known this before, but I am now aware that this part of San Francisco is apparently “famous for its role as a center of the 1960s hippie movement,” as Wikipedia puts it. Today, the streets are basically lined with an eclectic mix of stores, and an even more eclectic mix of random people hanging out in front of them. It is obvious that the hippie heritage lives on in these parts. In one block of this neighborhood, I could buy some vintage clothing, get a sweet tattoo, find myself some nice glassware, stop to chat with an old hippie, stop to chat with a young hippie, toss them some change, and then keep strolling. I liked it. Of all the neighborhoods I’d seen, I would say that it struck me as the one with the most character. I’d like to go back.

At this point it was dark and we had to be getting back to Silicon Valley, where Dan’s dorm was having a party that evening for no apparently reason other than to spend some house funds on Tequila, which struck me as a good enough reason. We got on the 101 heading south and headed towards home. I dropped Dan off and went back to my place for a nap. Of course, I became entangled in instant messenger conversations and before I knew it, I was late for the party and had gotten no sleep. So goes my life sometimes. I’m sure you can all relate.

I made it back to the campus quickly, as this area is a sleepy town and the traffic was light. The Walgreens even closes at 10! I spent the balance of the evening roaming sipping on margarita-esqe beverages and chatting with a student body which struck me as rather different than that which I am accustomed to in Rochester. Partying with these new people made me feel happy and welcome, although I kept hoping throughout the evening to see a familiar drunk face bust through the door and be my beer pong partner. The Stanford folks I hung out with were wonderful people though, and I look forward to spending more time with them. At some point the night ended with me face down in a pillow where I slept soundly till the following afternoon.

Day 3

I crawled off Dan’s futon and we made our way to his dorm kitchen where we each constructed for ourselves a rather appetizing turkey sandwich on the kind of bread that makes you wonder how they pack all those grains in there. My favorite. After lunch Dan took me on a tour of his campus, which really is so amazing that as the tour guide he never really needed to say a word. However, he is a tour guide by trade so he knew all the right things to say to get me to want to attend! I will have to spend a whole blog post describing this wonderful campus. Let me just say that I encourage everyone to visit if they ever have the opportunity.


We went up into the Hoover Tower, which is a tower on campus where one can ride an elevator to the top and be presented with generous views of the entire Silicon Valley area and beyond. The whole Stanford campus is in full view, along with the San Francisco Bay and San Francisco itself. It was a great experience and on such a nice day as well. I should go back and mention that since I had arrived, I had experienced virtually unblemished blue skies and highs in the mid 70s. Dan and I came down out of the tower and walked back to his house. He headed off to the airport to do some final flight testing and I drove to one of my favorite places in the world. No, not Chipotle, but close!


Ahh, yes, IKEA. What can I really say about the place, other than it is wonderful. I go there and I feel inspired and I feel happy. I wandered in sometime before six, to the best of my recollection, and left sometime in the nine o’clock hour. Some very productive and thoughtful shopping was done. It just took a while. I stuffed all my new crap (I love it but let’s be real) into the car and headed for Sunnyvale. I swung by Chipotle for dinner and had one of the best burritos of my life. Then off to Safeway for groceries, along with some wine that I never expected to see in the aisles alongside the bread and the eggs. You can even by hard liquor in the grocery stores too! How convenient!

Home I went, where Dan soon arrived to help me unpack the rest of everything and put my room together. We must have been up until three, but luckily neither of us had any pressing commitments in the early morning. He headed home, as I headed into my amazingly comfortable bed for the first time, complete with new and wonderful sheets from IKEA that were fresh out of the dryer.

Day 4

I awoke sometime around noon and decided that it was time for me to have a leisurely day. I sat around till three and then headed out on some errands. I snooped around outside the office where I would be starting work the next day, and then hit up Target for more essentials. I was especially proud of the HP printer I got on clearance for less than thirty dollars (yay). To appease the part of my brain that actually likes exercise, I drove to a nearby gym and talked my way in for free so I could try out the place. I decided it would be a good day for a chest and biceps workout, which proved exhausting, since I had taken so much time off from the gym over finals and break. It was nice to be back in the swing of things though. I wasn’t terribly enthusiastic about the facilities though, and decided that I would look elsewhere for a membership.

Back home, I took a shower and headed to Dan’s to have dinner with him and some friends who were having a dinner party in their dorm. What a nice time it was. The food was nothing terribly inventive, but I would have to say that they cooked some of the most delicious food I have ever seen prepared in a college apartment. Good wine was served as well, and I got to know some more really great people. After dinner, I headed back to Dan’s for a little while and then headed home to sleep. Work in the morning!

Day 5/6 and Remarks

The last two days have been relatively a blur. I started work at a new company, which I am enjoying very much. My first day was a somewhat typical, boring, first day, while my second day was already filled with activities and responsibilities. The people I work with all seem nice and laid back, but also very competent. I think am going to like it there. As for after work, I had initially worried that I would be bored with nothing to do. I can certainly say that this has not been the case the past several days, with my time being entirely occupied by something at all times. Two more work days and then it is the weekend, which I’ve no doubt will be filled with some more exciting activities.

My joy at being in such a wonderful place is not without reservations though, as I truly miss the people and faces that I had become accustomed to after my one quarter back at RIT. I spent a few nice days at home in Maryland over break, which also acted as a reminder of how much I miss being around there and being near family. I hope that people make the trip out here to visit, as it is worth your time to see what this area has to offer. And I would love to see you!



All in all, Silicon Valley and the SF Bay area seem like wonderful place and I have no doubt I’ll enjoy the next 6 months here. Don’t worry, I’ll tell you all my exciting stories!


So if any of the people who started reading this blog actually made it to the very end, I love to hear your comments. I really don’t have a clue about blogging, but I figured that I’m in a cool part of the country for a couple months so why not tell a story. If you are into it, let me know and tell me why. Same goes for if you hate it! If you have a story or something good too say in response, please, leave something in the comments section.

In addition, I’ve posted all my pictures from this weekend into two online albums that you can view here:

http://www.somepicturesitook.com/3-8gal
http://www.somepicturesitook.com/3-9gal

Thanks :)
posted by Michael at 1:57 AM

3 Comments:
  • At March 13, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Blogger Alex K. said…

    This is fun, you write well. Adding you to my RSS reader! Hoping it continues to be glorious :-D
    -Alex

     
  • At March 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM, Blogger Dan Zeehandelaar said…

    So fun reliving the past seven days while reading that!!

    Your voice as a writer comes across so genuinely, and I really can't wait to read more of the experiences that are to come (and I hope to be a part of some of them!).

     
  • At March 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're amazingly lucky and I'm mad jealous. Just an FYI. :)

    And stop using passive tense in your sentences!! Although I guess it does sorta fit your personality. I wanna come visit.

     
Post a Comment
About Me
Name: Michael
Home: Washington, DC, United States
About Me:
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Credits



Photoshop Shapes
by Magurno